You do your best to make yourself look presentable when you go out to meet people. You need to do the same for your home when the time comes to sell. The process of sprucing up your home for sale, known as home staging, ensures your home is ready for the scrutinizing eyes of potential buyers, and will hopefully convince them that your property is the right one to buy. Before asking yourself, “How can I sell my house fast?” take heed of these 10 home staging tips.
- Give your home a thorough cleaningDirt and foul odors are huge deterrents to potential buyers. When preparing a home for sale, check every nook and cranny and take note of any unsightly accumulation of grime. If you notice any unpleasant smells, find the source and make sure they’re not emanating from anything that could pose serious health hazards like mold and mildew. Clean every room thoroughly, and light some scented candles before showing your place.
Getting rid of clutter is one of the most important first steps of home staging. Just like items that reflect your unique personal preferences, clutter distracts prospective buyers from really seeing the home. Manage the mess by taking a ‘less-is-more’ approach to staging your rooms. The fewer the accents or items in each room, the bigger and more put-together your rooms will look.
- De-personalizeHome sellers often make the mistake of leaving too much of their personal imprint on the home. Before you schedule any home viewing, make sure the entire space is free of any family photographs and other personal items. Replace any loud colors with neutrals like white, cream, beige and light grey. You want home shoppers to picture themselves living in your home, and a neutral style is the easiest way to make this happen.
- Conduct repairs as necessaryCertain features of your home may be looking a little worse for wear. Now’s the time to patch and mend any issues that signal neglect to buyers. Replace all broken faucets, switches, handles, and lights. Do paint touch-ups if necessary. Put every effort into making the place look well-maintained.
- Boost your storage capacityBelieve it or not, increasing your home storage space can add significant dollars to your property’s value. It would be great if every room in your home had a storage cabinet, but if not, you can find modular storage solutions sold at home depots that you can install yourself. Better storage solutions contribute to the overall form and functionality of your home, not to mention improve the space in each room dramatically.
- Give each room a themeHaving a theme for each room is a great way to make your spaces work together. Give each room its own unique purpose and style so that potential buyers can see that every space in your home is usable. Avoid staging rooms as multi-purpose spaces, as doing so can make even a large room look smaller than it is.
- Let as much natural light inA bright and airy room creates the illusion of a bigger space, so let as much natural light in as you can during showings. Open your curtains, drapes, and blinds when you have people over. Add mirrors to rooms that get little light. Aside from reflecting light, mirrors add style to a space.
- Highlight architectural featuresDoes your home contain architectural details like crown molding, chair railings, French windows, and the like? If so, you might want to draw attention to these details with additional lighting or smart furniture placement.
- Get rid of outdated hardwareUnless your home is intentionally vintage or retro, you need to get rid of any passé items that look out of place in your home, as these might make the house less desirable. Give your bathrooms special attention; outmoded tubs, tiles, and toilets can be huge eyesores to others who haven’t already lived with them on a daily basis as you have.
- Don’t forget the outsideYour home’s exterior is the first thing that viewers will see. You know what they say about first impressions, so you need to take the time to make this your exterior look its best. Elevate your home’s curb appeal by mowing the grass, tending to the flowers, repainting the walls, replacing old cladding, and power washing the driveway.
Feeling unsure about how to stage your home? Don’t hesitate to call me. As a member of the highly successful Engel & Volkers Snell Real Estate team, my well-developed home selling strategies have helped clients from all over the Los Cabos area sell their home for the most profit at the shortest possible time. Call me at 521.624.157.6323 or email me at ian(dotted)gengos(at)engelvoelkers(dotted)com if you want the same for your property.